Pages

Crafty How-To: Ruffled Lamp Shade

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

ads

Back in January, one of my goals for the year was to 'cozy-up' our master bedroom. It is a beautiful room with great natural light. But it has been needing a few more layers to feel finished. And these red lampshades kept catching my eye- in a bad way.


I bought the lamps and shades at Hobby Lobby when I was in my red phase. Since then, I have been moving towards a more neutral palate. They are great lamps, red just isn't my thing right now. I read somewhere that in order to do neutrals right- you need to vary the textures. That way you don't end up with that 'white padded room' look.


So while I was doing my grocery shopping, I wandered into the craft aisle at Wal-mart. (Don't you just hate that they got rid of their fabric department?!) I found some unbleached muslin that was $5 for 2 yards. I liked the color and price, so I bought 2 packages. Then I went home and heated up the glue gun. One thing popped into my mind "Texture = Ruffles".



First I ripped off all the cording and bead work on the lamp shades.




 Then I glued one layer of the muslin over the red fabric.



 Next, I cut the muslin into strips that are 3 inches wide.


And then I ruffled,


 and ruffled,

and ruffled.
(For ruffle instructions- see here. Or set your machine to a straight stitch and adjust the length and width to the maximum.
The machine pretty much ruffles the fabric for you!)

Finally, I glued all those ruffles on to the shades. 



And 'ta-da'- new lampshades!






I love how frilly they are with the ruffles and raw edges.






And for some reason they make me think of this:


Amen!

Linking up with these great DIY parties:


Tip Junkie
Shanty 2 Chic
Thrifty Decor Chick
Tatertots and Jello
Lettered Cottage
Be Different Act Normal
A Beach Cottage
  http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/



ads
 

Most Reading